What is a gin hound to do when the theme for the next Mixology Monday hosted by the Pegu Blog is TIKI?
Well I could lie down and weep or be bold. I choose the latter.
Two things inspired me: A wonderful Danish cherry wine and my first batch of syrup for home made tonic water, made by pretty much following Jeffrey Morgenthaler's recipe, but with a few changes described here.
- 6 cl (2 oz) Appleton Estate V/X rum
- 2 cl (3/4 oz) Picon
- 2 cl (3/4 oz) Frederiksdal cherry wine (Cheery Heering would work, but then only half as much)
- 1 cl (2 teaspoons or 3/8 oz) Campari
- 2 cl (3/4 oz) fresh blood orange juice
- 1 cl (2 teaspoons or 3/8 oz) tonic syrup (or 4 cl (2 3/4 oz) tonic water)
- 3 cl seltzers (not if tonic water is used)
- Dash of Bitter Truth Xoxolatl Mole chocolate bitters
If using tonic syrup, shake first 6 ingredients with lots of crushed ice. Pour into generous glass, add the seltzers and the dash of bitters and garnish with a slice of fresh pineapple and couple of maraschino cherries and umbrella.
If using tonic water just shake the first five ingredients and then add tonic water, bitters and garnish.
Enjoy - or weep!